Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Challenges and victories

It's been rough lately. Without going into the details--why rehash them???--I suddenly lost my childcare provider with no real warning. We had been through rough spots before, but I had hung on and went to great lengths to preserve what I thought was in the best interests of my son. She is the only care giver outside our home that Christopher has ever known. He has done well in her care. Now that chapter has come to an end and it is time to move on.
It's funny that over the last few months I have turned over and over in my mind the idea of daycare. I always hated the idea of a center--I just did. As I watched him grow and reach new developmental heights this summer, I began to think about his lack of peer interaction. He loves other children. There just haven't been any his own age around and available to him. It was starting to concern me--that lack. I wasn't quite sure what the best method was to use to address it.
Things have been changing in my childcare provider's life. Changes that began to introduce doubts related to Christopher's placement. My child needs structure, stability, and routine (as do all children). Those things were coming into jeopardy. I didn't make a move so I guess the Divine Power kicked me in the butt.
After a week of calling every center in the area, I found placement yesterday. There was a lot of stress involved in this process. It certainly wasn't easy. Between the three adults in my household, we re-arranged our lives to be sure my son had the care he needed. His father really stepped up and as a result, I don't feel like I've been left alone to deal with this situation. It feels like everyone is going to come out a winner at the end of this particular journey.

No comments: