Monday, December 05, 2011

JYC--Day 5

Yea, I've missed blogging a few days for this project. You know what? I'm okay with that. I spent the weekend creating the memories--not concentrating on how I was going to journal or document them. I have photos. I have words in my head. It'll all come together and I'll share the finished product, I promise.
The holiday season is always filled with traditions. I used to stress---that was my state of being---wondering how can I get all of this done? The countdown was on. It was a race until the bitter end--clawing and scratching to eek out every second to get it all done. There was gift shopping, wrapping, tree decorating--all of it. For some reason this year, I'm not letting it get to me. I'm trying to enjoy the process as I go, rather than looking for the end goal. Christopher, on the other hand is counting down the days. He has his own, very special advent calendar that was given to him last year by a friend of ours from hockey. Here's what it looks like:

He just loves pulling off a new ornament each day. I'm trying to get him to do it in the evening, but it seems to be one of the things he feels he must do each morning. I remember having some advent calendars throughout my childhood. They were mostly the cardboard kind. Each day had a little window to open. Behind each window was a piece of chocolate. Christopher's is much healthier! It's also re-useable year after year. Who knows, it may become an heirloom that's passed throughout generations. We hang it on a magnetic curtain rod on the door leading from the kitchen to the laundry room. It's such a nice way to bring a little Christmas decor into the kitchen.

No comments: